Tuesday, March 8, 2016

WEEK ONE!

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Hey!

Dear Family and friends

So...pretty crazy week! I feel like I don't really know what all to share. 

Well, My companions name is sister Vaughn. she's pretty awesome! the first day here at the MTC I was late. I missed my flight and had to reschedule it a few hrs later. Mom pointed out to me that there is a reason for everything, and I think there was. 

On the plane I sat by a woman traveling with her brother and dad, they had traveled to Spain and France and were headed down to Florida for a cousin's wedding. I sat and talked to her and got to know her. My nerves were all pretty fried. Her name was Nancy and she has three sons in HS.  She was so sweet! 

I explained to her that I was reporting to the MTC. She told me she was Catholic. As much as I'd love to say that I gave her a Book of Mormon and converted on the spot......well, I didn't. But I still had the awesome, awesome experience of getting to know her. I felt so grateful to her. I was on the verge of bawling. (or felt like it, not showing it) but I told her how some of the sweetest people I know are Catholic and she told me how she loved and respected the LDS church through the example of her friends in the area.

Aunt Melody picked me up at the airport with Becca, she was so sweet to come get me. 

The MTC feels like young womens of Zion's camp. IT'S AWESOME! It has had its rough days, but it's had its wonderful days too, and I know for sure that it's gonna get harder. 

I really have felt strengthened by Heavenly Father and know He is watching over me, and my family!

My district got to go watch the talk by Elder Bednar in the MTC called the Character of Christ. WOW!! I love love love what he said and want so much with all of my heart to abide by those principles. He explained and gave examples of what Christ did when he was in pain or hurt. He explained that when we are hurt we turn in, when he was hurt, he turned out. 

So much of me wants to be better, to change and all that good stuff. But I know the Holy Ghost was telling me, it doesn't matter. It really truly does not matter. I can do whatever he wants me to do, but I shouldn't focus on improving my talents, or "is my ability or desire enough" doesn't matter at all!  Now I just need to apply it. 

One of the things that distracts me from that is how unable I am to remember things it seems like. I've lost papers and schedules and misplaced small random things or my journal, in the weirdest places. It's not like I have that much stuff with me to lose, but somehow I do, and I have the least packed of the other three girls in my dorm. but.....it don't matter. :)  It'll all work out in the end, and he will help change me and build me as he needs when I answer to the concerns of others. 

I can't think of anything else. Oh wait. So there is an Elder in my district who is 7ft 2 and it feels pretty crazy walking around with him in our district because EVERYONE wants to meet him and take a picture. It always makes me laugh to see the missionaries from Asia stand next to him and look up. I'll put pictures up.

One more thing. Mom and Dad, go find Brother and Sister Hill. and tell them I found Elder Hill. I saw him, he's been here at the MTC for like 5 weeks and has another 4 and he's ready to go, but tell the Hills that their son is glowing. He saw me and said hi and he was glowing. Just goes to show what the Lord can do. t

Thank you all so much for your prayers and for your letters. If I don't answer them through email this week, believe me I'll answer either through snail mail or next week's p-day. 

I love you all!! thank you for everything!

Sister Burk

P.S. If you find a black watch lying around the house, it's mine.  Send it to me please!

No comments:

Post a Comment